Diabetic Diet Menu Plans – Foods to Consume and Avoid
The right food choice is critical for a diabetic patient as it not only helps regulate the levels of blood sugar but also prevents further damage due to higher blood sugar levels. Diabetic patients must have a balanced diet menu that provides essential calories, nutrients, and minerals. Moreover, the right combination of foods can also help to prevent diabetes-related complications such as heart diseases.
Food to include in a diabetic diet menu plan
A diabetic patient must consult a medical practitioner before finalizing their dietary plan. Here is a list of food items that could be included in diet menu plans for diabetic patients:
- Fatty fish: Fatty fishes like salmon, anchovies, and mackerel are rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as DHA and EPA. These fatty acids reduce the chances of diabetes-related complications like a stroke. Moreover, regular intake of omega-3 fatty acids reduces inflammation.
- Leafy vegetables: Leafy vegetables must be a part of a diet menu plans for diabetic patients. These are low in calories and also contain essential nutrients. The minerals and vitamins present in leafy vegetables are known to improve one’s health and reduce inflammation.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon contains several powerful antioxidants. It lowers the blood sugar levels and improves the functioning of insulin, which is the main glucose-regulating hormone.
- Greek yogurt: It contains probiotics, calcium, and conjugated linoleic acid. These items help manage one’s blood sugar and reduce the chances of cardiovascular disorders.
- Nuts: Regular consumption of certain nuts helps in controlling blood sugar levels and reduces inflammation.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: Diabetic patients have raised levels of triglycerides in their blood which increases their vulnerability to heart disorders. Oleic acid present in extra-virgin olive oil reduces triglycerides, thus preventing heart disease.
Foods that diabetic patients should avoid
Here are some food items that diabetic patients must try and avoid:
- Refined grains: Refined grains raise the blood sugar levels quickly and hence, must be avoided.
- Dairy products: Diabetic patients should avoid some dairy products like whole milk, fat-rich cheese, fat-rich sour cream, and fat-rich yogurt.
- Low-quality carbohydrates: Sugar-rich foods, sweets, and low-quality carbohydrates increase blood sugar levels sharply. So, patients must remove them from their diet.
- Fruits: Avoid consuming jellies, jams, sweetened fruit juices, and pickles. Instead, eat a lot of fresh fruits.
Diet management is a critical way of regulating one’s blood sugar levels. It is vital to select a diabetic diet menu plan wisely. Therefore, do not hesitate to seek help from a diabetes specialist or a dietician for this.